Friday, December 14, 2012

Winter Training. The Run

Now that a large portion of the US is headed for the deep freeze of winter I thought it may be nice to throw out a few winter training tips for us in the northern climes.
Just because its darker and colder doesn't mean you have to give up your outdoor training runs, if you dress properly and use some common sense even the coldest temperatures are tolerable.
Your wardrobe is key this time of year so a few wise investments in clothing can make all the difference.
Here is what is in my winter running closet.
1. Windproof lightweight jaket.
2. Running tights.
3. Long sleeve shirt.
4.Sleeveless base layer.
5.Windproof briefs (very important:)
6. Stocking cap.
7. Balaclava.
8.Lightweight windproof gloves.
9.Windproof over mittens for really cold days.
10.Trail running shoes with good traction for snowy days.
11.Headlamp for those first 20 or so minuets of my run that is dark.
I combine different layers depending on the outdoor temperature and have used this method with good success for many years.
The only way I dont run outside is if it is well below zero with a fierce wind or if its too icy for good footing.
I know much of this is common sense but just thought Id share my experience.
Good luck in your training!

No comments: